- 1 ripe plantain (refrigerated overnight)
- 1 1/4 cup gluten-free flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 baking flour)
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch
- 2 tbsps coconut sugar
- 4 medium apples (thinly sliced)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 12 pitted medjool dates
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3–4 tbsps non-dairy milk
- FOR THE CRUST: Stir together the flour and coconut sugar.
- Using your hands, work in the chilled plantain. Keep mixing and kneading until it forms a cohesive dough.
- Roll out the crust and transfer to a floured pie pan. Set aside.
- FOR THE FILLING: Blend the lemon juice, dates, cinnamon, and apple juice on high.
- Pour over the apple slices and toss to coat.
- Transfer to the pie pan.
- Bake for 20 mins at 350F.
- FOR THE TOPPING: While the pie is baking, mix all the topping ingredients together with a fork until crumbly.
- After 20 mins of baking, remove the pie from the oven and sprinkle on the topping to evenly cover the apples.
- Bake for another 30 mins at 350F.
- Remove from the pan and let it cool. Slice and eat.
Crust adapted from Happy Herbivore’s Whole Wheat Pie Crust