- 4 ripe bananas
- 1 1/2 tbsps cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- 8 pitted medjool dates
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- FOR THE CARAMEL SAUCE: Blend the dates, water, and vanilla on high until smooth. You will have extra, but if you make a smaller batch it won’t blend. It keeps in the fridge for days.
- FOR THE HOT CHOCOLATE: Blend the bananas with the cacao powder and 2 tablespoons of the caramel sauce. You can add non-dairy milk to thin it out if you want.
- Pour into a mug. Microwave for 20-30 seconds until toasty warm. Stir. Don’t microwave it too long or it will start to taste funky. Alternatively, you can heat it up in a saucepan on the stove.
- Slice the fresh banana into large “marshmallow” chunks.
- Top your warm hot chocolate with the “marshmallows” and a drizzle of caramel sauce.