Why is Monkey Bread called Monkey Bread?
It doesn’t look like a monkey.
I don’t think it is a major food source of monkeys.
Monkeys didn’t invent it, since they don’t bake. I don’t think monkeys even like cinnamon.
You eat it with your hands, similar to the way monkeys eat their food.
Since there’s a hole in the middle, you could hang the bread from a tree branch to resemble a monkey, I guess.
It would be ideal ammunition for those monkeys who like to throw things at onlookers.
Maybe the high sugar contents makes children who eat it act like monkeys…?
I obviously don’t know the origin of the name, but I do know that it’s tasty.
In honor of those fruit-loving monkeys, I made a fruit-filled raw Monkey Bread. It’s sticky, sweet, and messy, which is exactly what Monkey Bread is meant to be. With only three ingredients in the bread and three ingredients in the glaze, I don’t think there is an easier (or healthier) recipe out there.
Raw Monkey Bread
Makes 1 mini bundt loaf
2 cups raw rolled oats
2 cups raisins
1 tsp cinnamon (or less, I like a lot)
1 cup pitted dates
3/4 cup water
1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Combine the raisins, oats, and cinnamon in a food processor. Process until it begins to clump together.
- Roll the dough into 1″ balls.
- If you have a mini bundt pan, then that’s perfect. Otherwise, line a 6″ cake pan with plastic wrap. Place a small jar or cup in the middle to form the hole, or just make a solid loaf.
- Pile the dough balls into the pan (I sprinkled in a few raisins too) and press down gently.
- Blend the ingredients for the glaze in the blender until smooth. Spoon on the glaze.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Pull apart your loaf into a sticky, sweet serving.
I was planning on Googling the origin of the name Monkey Bread and giving you an answer to this puzzling question by the end of the post, but no one knows!
Rebecca Pytell says
Don’t mind me, I’m just creepin’ 😉 I seriously can’t get over this recipe! AH!
Natalie Thomas says
Haha I was wondering how you ended up on this recipe 🙂 It’s a good one!