The classic Thanksgiving dessert but with a decadent twist – vegan chocolate pumpkin pie with a super rich filling, the best buttery gluten-free crust, and fluffy whipped cream!
Gluten-Free Pie Crust*
- 1 1/2 cups (168g) almond flour
- 3/4 cup (90) tapioca flour**
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp (30g) Organic SunButter
- 4 tbsp (56g) dairy-free butter, cold
- 4–5 tbsp ice cold water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
Chocolate Pumpkin Filling
- 1 15oz can (425g) pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup (128g) Chocolate SunButter
- 4oz semi-sweet chocolate, melted
- 1/3 cup (105g) maple syrup
- 1 cup (240g) full-fat coconut milk
- 3 tbsp (23g) tapioca starch (can sub arrowroot or corn starch)
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice***
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the crust:
- In a food processor, combine the almond flour, tapioca flour, salt, SunButter, and cold chunks of butter.
- Pulse while streaming in the water and lemon juice. Mix just until the dough starts to stick together.
- Shape into a ball, flatten into a disc, wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (up to overnight).
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Roll out the door between two sheets of parchment paper. Remove one sheet, and carefully use the other sheet to flip into a lightly greased pie dish.
- Fix any cracks and shape/crimp at the edges. Use a fork to poke holes in the bottom. (Optional: if you are not vegan, you can brush the edges of the crust with an egg wash for better browning and moisture).
- Bake the crust for 15 minutes, it will be barely browned. Cool while you prepare the filling.
For the filling:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Melt the semi sweet chocolate and set aside.
- Blend the rest of the ingredients, until very smooth and creamy. Add the melted chocolate and blend again until combined.
- Pour into the crust and smooth the top.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425°F, then reduce the heat to 350°F and bake for 45 minutes.
- Cool for 1 hour, then refrigerate overnight.
- Top with coconut whipped cream, slice, and serve.
Keywords: gluten free, pie crust, thanksgiving, holidays, dairy free, healthy, easy