All the sweet simplicity of a sugar cookie but CHOCOLATE. And complimented with berry pink frosting on top. Easy to make, fun to decorate, delicious to devour!
- 1/4 cup (70g) unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup (120g) maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional: 1/2 tsp coffee extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup (40g) cacao powder
- 2 1/2 cups (280g) almond flour
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup (180g) coconut butter
- Optional: 2 tbsp maple syrup ((at room temperature))
- 1/4–1/2 cup non-dairy milk ((at room temperature))
- 1–2 tbsp freeze dried strawberries (ground)
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- For the cookies, combine the applesauce, maple syrup, and extract(s) in a bowl. Mix.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Mix to form a ball of dough. If it is super sticky you can add 1/4 cup extra flour or chill for 1-2 hours for easier rolling.
- Dust a piece of wax paper with flour and roll out the dough on the wax paper to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut into hearts (or any shape you like) and use a spatula to carefully transfer to a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Collect and re-roll the dough scraps. You should be able to get about 2 dozen cookies depending on the size of your cookie cutter.
- Bake for 12 minutes at 350F. Remove from the oven and cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, melt your coconut butter (5-10 seconds in the microwave).
- Combine the coconut butter and maple syrup in a blender. Blend. It will seize up, add the nondairy milk slowly until it becomes creamy again.
- Add the berry powder to desired color/flavor.
- Frost your cooled cookies and refrigerate until the frosting is set.
Keywords: baking, chocolate, cookies, vegan, gluten-free, paleo