Cupcakes or muffins – either way this grain-free date-sweetened recipe is the perfect pumpkin spice snack or frosted dessert!
- 1 cup pitted medjool dates ((about 12))
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk ((or water))
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tsps pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour ((*see notes for oat flour option))
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch ((can sub cornstarch or arrowroot))
- 1/4 cup nut/seed butter ((I used cashew))
Coconut Butter Frosting (see above for other frosting options)
- 1/4 cup coconut butter
- 1 tbsp maple syrup ((optional))
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3–4 tbsp non-dairy milk
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a blender of food processor, combine the dates, non-dairy milk, and pumpkin. Blend until well combined with minimal chunks remaining.
- Add the rest of the cupcake ingredients.
- Blend again until just combined.
- Divide the batter between 6 muffin tins that have been lightly oiled or lined with paper liners. Fill each so it is level with the top of the pan. Smooth the tops.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350F.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, melt the coconut butter. Combine melted coconut butter with maple syrup and vanilla. Slowly add the non-dairy milk until creamy and pour-able (it may seize up at first, just keep stirring and adding milk). Refrigerate for 5-10 minutes or until thick and spreadable like frosting.
- Frost the cupcakes. Garnish with pumpkin seeds. Enjoy!
For the oat flour option: Replace the almond flour and tapioca starch with 1 cup oat flour.