Cold creamy and…cozy? Yes it’s possible and it’s called Roasted Butternut Squash Ice Cream. Cinnamon-spiced, maple-sweetened, vegan, and no-churn!
- Approximately 8 cups (1kg) cubed butternut squash
- 1/2–1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp maple syrup ((optional))
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Spread the butternut squash between 2 baking pans lined with parchment paper.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes at 400F or until fork tender, flipping halfway through to avoid burning.
- Allow to cool. Transfer to a plastic bag and freeze overnight.
- The following day, break apart the squash chunks and add them to a high speed blender or food processor along with 1/2 cup coconut milk, cinnamon, vanilla, salt, and maple syrup (if using).
- Blend using a tamper or stopping to scrape down the sides frequently. Add more coconut milk slowly as need be to get a creamy thick soft serve consistency.
- Scoop into bowls. Top with nuts and extra cinnamon. Enjoy!
I recommend blending right before serving, so if you just want one or two servings halve the amounts and save the rest of the frozen squash in the freezer for later. It will last quite a while frozen, and tastes great in smoothies too!