Medjool Date Sticky Toffee Pudding – a healthier spin on this sweet holiday dessert with a rich grain-free sponge cake soaked in the easiest blender toffee sauce!
- 1 cup (200g) Natural Delights® Organic Pitted Medjool Dates
- 3/4 cup (180g) boiling water or brewed coffee*
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup (125g) cashew butter**
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup (30g) coconut flour
- 1/4 cup (30g) tapioca starch***
- 1/4 tsp salt
Medjool Date Toffee Sauce
- Pour the boiling water or coffee over the pitted dates. Add baking soda. Stir, then soak for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Transfer the dates, water/coffee, and baking soda mixture to a food processor.
- Add the cashew butter, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- Process briefly, you want there to be some chunks of date left. (Consider leaving out half of the water for the initial blend as food processors tend to spray if there is too much liquid! Blend briefly, then add the remaining water.)
- Add the coconut flour, tapioca starch, and salt. Process to combine.
- Transer to oiled mini bundt pans or muffin tin.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350F or until the center feels firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven. Cool for 10-15 minutes before flipping onto a cooling rack.
- Combine the sauce ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth. Adjust with more milk if needed to get a pourable consistency.
- Pour the sauce over the cakes right before serving. Enjoy!
*Coffee will give it a deeper more complex flavor, but either is fine.
**Almond butter would be good too, or even tahini.
***You can substitute arrowroot or cornstarch.
- Serving Size: 1 cake
- Calories: 385
- Sugar: 35g
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 57g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 8g
Keywords: vegan, paleo, grain-free, christmas, cake, dessert, gluten-free, healthy