Fluffy grain-free SunButter cupcakes filled with berry jam and swirled with vegan SunButter buttercream. A sandwich-inspired sweet treat!
- 1/2 cup (120g) almond milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup (105g) maple syrup
- 1/3 cup (80g) coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup (125g) Creamy SunButter
- 1/4 cup (50g) coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup (160g) cassava flour
- 2 tbsp (15g) coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Jam of choice (I used seedless blackberry)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, softened
- 1/4 cup Creamy Sunbutter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp almond milk
Jam of choice + berries for topping
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Add lemon juice to the almond milk, stir and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine maple syrup, coconut sugar, SunButter, coconut oil, and vanilla. Beat with a hand mixer until combined and light.
- Add the flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Beat again until just combined.
- Add the almond milk + lemon juice mixture, mix briefly until you have a smooth batter.
- Scoop into the cupcake pan, filling each 3/4 of the way.
- Bake 30-35 minutes at 325°F.
- Cool in the pan 15 minutes, then move to a cooling rack to cool completely (you can chill them to speed this up).
- Once cool, use a cupcake corer or a spoon to create a cavity in the middle of each cupcake and fill with a teaspoon of jam.
- With a hand mixer, beat together butter and SunButter until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract and 1 cup powdered sugar. Continue whipping.
- Add remaining powder sugar and 1 tablespoon almond milk. Whip with a hand mixer until smooth and fluffy.
- Transfer to a piping bag and pipe onto the cupcakes, or spread with an offset spatula
- Top with more jam and fresh berries before serving.
Keywords: gluten free, grain free, cassava, peanut butter, nut free, paleo, berry, healthy, baking, dessert