Moist, fluffy, rich, and with ingredients unlike any cake you’ve seen before – these Healthy Chocolate Cupcakes will blow your mind!
- 1 cup Medjool dates (200g or about 12 pitted)
- 1 cup (240g) water
- 1/3 cup (35g) cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup (125g) oat flour*
- 1/4 cup (60g) non-dairy milk**
Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- 1 cup Medjool dates (about 12)
- 1/2–2/3 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup nut or seed butter (almond used)
- 1/4 cup cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- Pinch of salt
- Optional: sprinkles for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Combine the dates and water in a high speed blender. Blend on high until smooth.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Blend on low speed briefly until just combined. DO NOT over blend.
- Divide the batter between 6 cupcake tins that have been lightly coated with oil. (I do not recommend paper liners because this recipe is oil-free and they will stick.) Fill each so it is level with the top of the pan.
- Smooth the tops with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes at 350F.
- Remove from the oven. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Cool completely of ideally chill overnight before frosting.
- For the frosting, combine all the ingredients in a high speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Start with 1/2 cup of milk and add more only as necessary to get it to blend, you want it as thick as possible. Transfer to a piping bag and chill for at least 1 hour to thicken.
- Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes, or spread with a knife. I recommend storing the cupcakes unfrosted, and frosting right before serving.
- Top with sprinkles and enjoy!
*For a grain-free option: Replace the oat flour with 1 1/4 cup almond flour. Add 2 tablespoons tapioca, corn, or arrowroot starch. And replace the non-dairy milk with 1/4 cup of any nut/seed butter.
**For a richer cupcake, replace with 1/4 cup nut/seed butter or coconut oil.
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Calories: 220
- Sugar: 32g
- Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 51g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 4g
Keywords: baking, easy, healthy, chocolate, birthday, vegan, gluten-free, sugar free