With coconut butter in the batter, toasted coconut folded in, and coconut cream frosting, this fluffy vegan grain-free Toasted Coconut Cake is the ultimate tropical treat!
- 3/4 cup (180g) unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup (165g) coconut butter (or any nut butter)
- 1/4 cup (60g) coconut milk
- 1/2 cup (70g) coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup (40g) coconut flour
- 1/3 cup (40g) tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup (35g) unsweetened shredded coconut (plus more for topping)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 can coconut cream, chilled overnight
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF.
- Spread about 1 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut on a pan and toast for 5-10 minutes until golden brown (check/stir halfway through).
- Increase oven temperature to 350ºF.
- Whisk together applesauce, cashew butter, coconut milk, coconut sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice.
- Add the flours, baking soda, and salt.
- Fold in ½ cup toasted coconut.
- Transfer to a greased baking dish (mine was 10″x6”, but a regular 8″x8″ pan will work too) and smooth the top (spray spatula in nonstick spray to make it easier).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350ºF. The edges should be golden and the center bounces back when lightly pressed when it’s done.
- Cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Spoon out the solid part from the chilled can of coconut cream. Whip with a hand mixer, adding 1-2 tbsp sweetener if desired.
- Spread coconut whipped cream on top of cooled cake. Sprinkle with more toasted coconut.
- Slice and eat!
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 335
- Sugar: 15g
- Sodium: 264mg
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 15g
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: gluten free, grain free, coconut, frosting, easy, healthy, dessert, snack, paleo, egg free, dairy free