Quick easy monkey bread for two! Gluten-free vegan dough rolled in cinnamon, drowned in date caramel, and microwaved to messy mug perfection!
- 10 (180g) pitted medjool dates
- 3/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup (170g) date paste
- 2 tbsp (20g) melted coconut oil (recommended, but can be replaced with nondairy milk)
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp (75g) oat flour
- 1/2 cup (60g) tapioca starch (or cornstarch)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- Remaining date paste (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- Blend the dates and water until VERY smooth, adding a little more water if need be.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together oat flour, tapioca starch, baking powder, and salt.
- Add date paste and coconut oil. Mix to form a sticky dough (if it’s too dry add a little more coconut oil or milk, you want it to be almost too sticky to roll in your hands). Set aside to rest 5 minutes.
- Grease 2 ramekins (bigger is better, 8oz or 10oz ramekins work best). Pinch off chunks of dough, roll into balls, roll in cinnamon to coat, arrange in the ramekins (about 8-10 balls per ramekin, do not overcrowd them).
- Whisk maple syrup and date paste to form a smooth thinner sauce. Spoon over the dough balls, covering the top completely and letting some fill in the spaces between the dough balls.
- Microwave 90 seconds (each ramekin separately).
- Cool briefly, then enjoy!
You can halve the dough and caramel sauce ingredients to make just one mug cake, but it’s hard to blend less date paste than listed in the recipe. You can just save the extra date paste (lasts 4-5 days in the fridge) for another use or another mug cake!
OVEN OPTION: I personally prefer the texture of the microwave option, but if you want to bake it try 18-22 minutes at 350F. Place the ramekins directly on the wire rack of your oven not on a pan. Glass ramekins work better than ceramic in my experience. To test for doneness, gently press the middle ball and if it feels at all mushy or unbaked add another 2-3 minutes.
Keywords: gluten free, caramel, cinnamon, easy, snack, dessert, healthy, oat flour