Healthy vegan rice crispy treats made with Medjool dates and almond butter instead of marshmallows for a sweet sticky refined sugar-free cereal snack!
- 3 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1 cup Medjool dates, pitted
- 3/4 cup nut or seed butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- In a high speed blender or food processor combine the Medjool dates, nut/seed butter, and vanilla extract.
- Blend to form a thick sticky paste, you will likely need to use the tamper or stop and stir frequently. If absolutely necessary you can add 1-2 tablespoons of either maple syrup or coconut oil to get it to blend. Do not add water or the bars will turn out soggy.
- Transfer the date paste to a bowl and microwave for 30-60 seconds to soften. Or heat on the stovetop until soft. It will not change in appearance, but makes it much easier to mix into the cereal so don’t skip this!
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the rice crispy cereal and salt.
- Add the date paste and mix until evenly coated.
- Press firmly into a baking dish lined with parchment or wax paper. Smaller dish = thicker bars, but any size works.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until firm.
- Slice and enjoy! They do not need to be kept in the fridge, but will last longest that way.