- FOR THE CAKE
- 1 cup pitted medjool dates
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/4 cup flour (I used oat flour, but all-purpose or wheat or spelt works too)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup milk
- FOR THE APPLESAUCETING
- 1 1/2 cup dried apple slices
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- 1/3 cup non-dairy milk
- FOR THE CUPCAKES: Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Combine the dates and water in a food processor or blender.
- Blend till smooth.
- Add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and milk.
- Process to combine.
- Divide the batter into 6 cupcake tins lined with paper liners or lightly oiled.
- Bake for approximately 22 minutes at 350F, or until the tops are firm when touched.
- Let the cupcakes cool.
- FOR THE FROSTING: Soak the dried apple slices in the apple juice and milk for 15-20 minutes.
- Blend the soaked apples with 3/4 of the soaking liquid. Add as little of the remaining 1/4 cup liquid as possible to keep the blender moving but keep the applesauceting thick.
- Once cool, frost the cupcakes. Keep the cupcakes in the fridge for up to a week.