High-carb low-fat frostings are tough. They require me to engage all my unconventional baking imagination. Well not chocolate frosting. Chocolate frosting is (on top of) a piece of cake. But non-chocolate frostings require me to pull out all the sweet fruity stops and try every crazy idea that comes to me. Like this one…
In FF frosting history we’ve had…
– Freeze dried banana AND freeze dried strawberry frosting
– Purple sweet potato frosting
– Rice Whip frosting
– Chia frosting
– Caramel frosting
– Beet-dyed coconut frosting
– and a whole lot of other failed attempts that never left my kitchen.
Today I’m adding a new one to the list: Applesauceting! Applesauce + frosting. After making those Raw Blueberry Slices from Simple and Light Desserts, I had a whole new appreciation for dried apple slices. So I frosting-ed them.
It’s sweet and SO perfect perched on top of yet another flavor of Everything-Free cupcakes: cinnamon! And when the frosting soaks into the cake a little bit…WOW! I would say that this is my favorite flavor of Everything-Free cupcakes yet, but I probably said that last time…and the time before. I just can’t pick a favorite.
If you haven’t tried any of my Everything-Free cupcakes by now than you need to put that at the top of your to-do list. The vanilla, chocolate, and black bottom are all deeelicious! Everything-Free cupcakes are a feat of fruity baking! They are gluten-free, nut-free, soy-free, oil-free, and sugar-free. And I’ve discovered that they last up to a week in the fridge without losing any cupcake quality.
- FOR THE CAKE
- 1 cup pitted medjool dates
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/4 cup flour (I used oat flour, but all-purpose or wheat or spelt works too)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup milk
- FOR THE APPLESAUCETING
- 1 1/2 cup dried apple slices
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- 1/3 cup non-dairy milk
- FOR THE CUPCAKES: Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Combine the dates and water in a food processor or blender.
- Blend till smooth.
- Add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and milk.
- Process to combine.
- Divide the batter into 6 cupcake tins lined with paper liners or lightly oiled.
- Bake for approximately 22 minutes at 350F, or until the tops are firm when touched.
- Let the cupcakes cool.
- FOR THE FROSTING: Soak the dried apple slices in the apple juice and milk for 15-20 minutes.
- Blend the soaked apples with 3/4 of the soaking liquid. Add as little of the remaining 1/4 cup liquid as possible to keep the blender moving but keep the applesauceting thick.
- Once cool, frost the cupcakes. Keep the cupcakes in the fridge for up to a week.
What flavor of Everything-Free cupcakes should I make next?