This Vegan Pistachio Ice Cream recipe is a homemade take on an underrated but delicious flavor with a favorite green fruit as the creamy coconut-free base!
- 2 1/2 cups non-dairy milk (I used cashew)
- 1–2 avocados
- 1 cup unsalted pistachios, shells removed
- 1 cup pitted medjool dates (*see notes)
- Optional: 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Optional: 1/8 tsp spirulina (for color)
- Combine the milk, avocado, pistachios, medjool dates, and almond extract in a blender. Blend on high until smooth.
- Add the spirulina slowly to achieve a pretty green color, tasting as you go and being careful not add too much or it will taste salty and ocean-y.
- Pour the mixture into a loaf pan, top with chopped pistachios, and freeze overnight.
- Remove from the freezer and let thaw for 10-15 minutes or until soft enough to scoop. Or if you want it SUPER creamy, break into chunks and re-blend until smooth.
- Scoop into bowls or cones. Enjoy!
*Medjool dates make for the best creamy texture, but not the best color when mixed with green. For a prettier color, use 1/3 cup maple syrup instead and decrease the amount of non-dairy milk to 2 cups.
Keywords: frozen, dessert, soft serve, no churn, vegan, dairy-free