I intended on making these cake pops, but then I couldn’t find lollipop sticks. Instead I invented the cake unpop! It’s not like the stick adds that much anyways.
Never mind the stick, the important parts of these Chocolate Cake Unpops with Strawberry Frosting is the the fudgey chocolate cake and the fruity, tart strawberry frosting. Oh, and there aren’t any dates in these chocolatey treats either. You may not care, but that makes me very happy.
Combining low-fat and frosting into one recipe is always challenging. This idea was a little bizarre, but it worked! Freeze dried fruit + oat milk, who would have thought it? Any non-dairy milk will work, I was just feeling adventurous at the store and tried oat milk instead of my usual almond. It’s surprisingly tasty by the way, I suggest trying it.
Strawberry-Covered Chocolate Cake Unpops
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup cacao powder
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1 medium ripe banana
1-2 tbsps water
2 cups freeze dried strawberries
1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- Grind the oats in a food processor until fine.
- Add the coconut sugar, cacao, and banana. Process until combined.
- Add the water slowly until a ball of dough forms.
- Roll into 8 balls. Refrigerate.
- For the frosting, combine the strawberries and milk in the blender. Blend until smooth.
- Top the unpops with the frosting, and do not insert a lollipop stick.