I’ve done it. I’ve taken my beloved Everything-Free Chocolate Cupcakes and un-chocolated them. I’ve made Everything-Free Vanilla Cupcakes. I have a feeling this is just the beginning of a beautiful chronicle of everything-free cupcakes.
Straight from Seuss! Purple foods make me so happy. They look like they belong in a Dr. Seuss book alongside Sneetches and Wockets and Sam-I-Am. The color is story-time stunning thanks to the magic of anthocyanins in the purple sweet potato.
These fun-as-fiction potatoes are pretty easy to find, especially at Asian markets. The flavor and texture is great, and I just can’t get over that vibrant purple color. They kind of make the orange ones seem boring, but don’t tell them I said that.
That frosting! If I told you that this frosting perfectly mimicked buttercream I’d be lying. It’s not lighter than air, fluffier than a cloud, or sweeter than sugar. But I did just make frosting from a potato. A purple potato. A purple potato that was once underground surrounded by roots and dirt and critters. And it happens to be more beautiful than any frosting I ever made with vegan butter and confectioner’s sugar and food coloring.
That’s the beauty of working with natural, unrefined ingredients. Nothing is perfect and nothing has to be. It just has to taste good. And this frosting tastes very, very good.
If you don’t want frosting the color of a Heffalump, then try topping the cupcakes with my chocolate frosting instead. Vanilla + chocolate is always a winner.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a blender, combine the dates and water. Blend until smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract, baking powder, oat flour, and non-dairy milk. Blend until well combined.
- Spoon the batter into 6 lined or oiled muffin tins. Fill them 3/4 of the way, and smooth the tops.
- Bake at 350F for approximately 25 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and let them cool completely before frosting. Enjoy!
- Store frosted cupcakes in an airtight container, preferably in the fridge for optimal freshness.
What’s you’re favorite Dr. Seuss story?