Sunshine and happiness and and the “Yellow Submarine” song, those are the things this dish evokes in my mind. So many vibrant yellow ingredients: corn, bell pepper, turmeric, and lemon. The happiness is optional, but I suggest adding it in too.
I just walked through the produce section and haphazardly grabbed everything that was yellow. That’s not true. Actually I was inspired by this recipe, but I turned it on it’s cheesy head and made it vegan.
Be a conscious corn consumer. Get the good stuff, the organic stuff, the non-GMO stuff, or even the fresh stuff. I used frozen corn in this recipe to keep things easy and quick, but you could definitely substitute fresh corn cut right from the cob.
Even though fresh corn on the cob may seem like a summer affair, it is still in season in September and October. Which explains why candy corn, corn cob wreaths, and odd corn costumes are all associated with Halloween.
- 2 servings of pasta (any kind you like: corn, quinoa, wheat, brown rice, etc.)
- 1/2 sliced yellow bell pepper
- 3/4 cup organic frozen corn (defrosted)
- 1 cup organic frozen corn (defrosted)
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- Pinch of black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add your pasta and cook according to the package instructions.
- Blend all of the ingredients for the sauce to desired consistency. I kept it a little chunky.
- Add the bell pepper to a non-stick pan. Cook on medium heat for 3-4 minutes to soften. Make sure to move it around so it doesn’t burn.
- Add the corn kernels and the sauce. Cook stirring constantly on medium heat until the peppers are tender.
- Serve on top of pasta.
- Garnish with a wedge of lemon and a sprinkling of black pepper.