Moist, fluffy Cinnamon Swirl Quick Bread with cinnamon sugar swirled inside and irresistibly sprinkled on top. Vegan, gluten-free, an easy fall favorite!
Never have I NOT missed pumpkin more than when I took the first bite of this Cinnamon Swirl Quick Bread. A fluffy oat slice filled with the kickass combo of fruity sweet applesauce and rich cashew butter to keep things moist, plus a heaping spoonful of cinnamon in the batter and even more in the swirl…oh the cinnamon sugar swirl ♡
If the entirety of fall could be crammed into one loaf pan, this would be it. All the flavors and smells and spices and coziness are present and deliciously accounted for. Pumpkin…what is pumpkin?
I’m not sure you fully understand just how irresistible this stuff is. I didn’t either during all the photoshoot nibbles. It wasn’t until I was 1.5 slices in at 9 p.m. at night that it hit me that I want this bread to be my every snack and dessert (and maybe a few breakfasts too) for the rest of fall.
See usually I struggle with loaf breads. Cake I can do. Muffins, easy. But the thickness of a loaf pan poses a special kind of challenge when trying to create a bread that is moist, but not so moist that the center doesn’t cook through, without eggs or oil or gluten. I cannot even count the number of quick breads I’ve scrapped because either the center sinks or the texture is dry as a crumbly desert.
But this time was different – no sad post-oven sinking or post-slicing pile of crumbs. And that is thanks to the combined powers of a few key ingredients:
- Applesauce. For moisture and natural sweetness, although on it’s own it can make for a mushy/gummy texture which is why we also need…
- Cashew butter. The natural fat content here adds non-mushy moisture. And yes, you can use other nut butters (um peanut butter anyone?)
- Tapioca starch. Think of this as anti overly-crumbly fairy dust.
And a quick shoutout to coconut sugar and molasses too, because both add moisture while doing their yummy sweetening stuff.
This was a big and unexpected win in the world of vegan gluten-free loaf bread baking for me, I’m still kinda riding the high of it to be honest. And by “riding the high” I mean eating the leftovers straight from the pan with my hands.
Hello post-pumpkin fall baking season, I am very happy you are here.
Go forth, bake Cinnamon Swirl Quick Bread, and join in my joy.
Moist, fluffy Cinnamon Swirl Quick Bread with with cinnamon sugar swirled inside and irresistibly sprinkled on top. Vegan, gluten-free, an easy fall favorite!
- 1 cup (250g) unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup (125g) cashew butter (or nut/seed butter of choice)
- 2/3 cup (100g) coconut sugar
- 1 cup (240g) non-dairy milk
- 2 tbsp molasses*
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups (240g) oat flour
- 1/3 cup (45g) tapioca starch
- 1 tbsp cinnamon (or apple pie spice for a more complex flavor)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
Cinnamon Sugar Swirl
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon (or apple pie spice)
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Mix together the swirl ingredients. Set aside.
- Whisk together the applesauce, cashew butter, coconut sugar, milk, molasses, and vanilla until no clumps remain.
- Add the oat flour, tapioca starch, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir to combine.
- Pour half the batter into a loaf pan that has been well oiled or lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle on half of the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Top with the rest of the batter and then the rest of the cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes at 350F, or until the center is firm and bounces back when lightly pressed. If it feels squishy at all, bake for an additional 5 minutes or so.
- Remove from the oven and cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing. If you slice it when it’s too warm it may be gummy inside.
- Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week, or freeze for longer storage.
*You can substitute with other liquid sweeteners (honey, maple syrup, etc.), but it will make the flavor and texture slightly less rich/moist.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 277
- Sugar: 24g
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 46g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 5g
Keywords: vegan, gluten-free, applesauce, oat, fall, easy, one bowl, baking, cake