I didn’t create these Peppermint Mocha Date Balls because I am obsessed with dates. Although I am.
I didn’t do it to recreate a Starbucks holiday drink in snack form.
I didn’t do it because I haven’t posted a chocolate recipe since October. Or because I’ve never posted a mocha recipe before and it was about time.
I didn’t do it to because snack balls are the easiest thing to make.
And I didn’t do it because I needed something to sprinkle my candy canes on.
I did it because I realized I have a red, green, and white dish and they do the wonky stack so well. And I’ve been dying to do the wonky stack for a while. And the colors are just perfect for this month. And I had to have something to fill that top teacup. And date balls fit the part.
But despite that twisted reasoning, these little date balls rock my snacking socks. Sweet dates. Rich mocha. Chilly peppermint. They are the best sort of grab and nibble bite for your busy pre-holiday days.
The coffee part of the peppermint mocha can come in many forms…
-The classic baking way is espresso or instant coffee powder.
-The easy baking way is coffee flavoring. Frontier is the brand of flavoring that I usually go with since it is all natural (whatever that means) and alcohol-free.
-The protein-rich way is coffee flavored protein powder. I used Garden of Life Plant Protein in the video.
Or if you want to avoid caffeine completely, just skip it. Opt for chocolate peppermint date balls. Still so festive and sweet you won’t even miss it!
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 scoop coffee flavored protein powder OR 1 tsp espresso powder OR 1 tsp coffee flavoring
- 20 pitted medjool dates
- 1 1/2 tsp peppermint flavor
- For coating: cacao nibs or crushed candy canes (TruJoy Sweets makes vegan candy canes)
- Process the oats in a food processor until fine.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Process to make a ball.
- Divide and roll into 13-15 balls.
- Roll in cacao nibs or candy canes or whatever you like.
- Refrigerate. Keep in the fridge.