Did you know that the Neapolitan flavor trio is very much an American thing, even though the name alludes to Naples, Italy? And the typical chocolate + vanilla + strawberry is based upon popular American flavors, not tradition. It’s sort of based on something called spumoni (which I cannot say out loud without giggling). Spumoni is legitimately Italian, and it refers to a chocolate + cherry + pistachio molded ice cream dessert. Apparently that flavor trio is a bit too sophisticated for the American palate, so we’ll stick to chocolate + vanilla + strawberry for this chia treat.
That’s a lot of facts and learning, so let’s get to the food…
I’m taking this yummy flavor trio from the ice cream cone to the mason jar. From brain-freezing dessert to nutrient-dense snack. Down the pudding path paved with chia seeds. So follow that little red spoon!
Neapolitan Chia Pudding
1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk
1/3 cup chia seeds
1 ripe banana
2 tbsps Bee Free Honee (or sweetener of choice)
1/2 tsp vanilla bean powder (or vanilla extract)
1 tbsp cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
6-7 ripe strawberries
- Blend the non-dairy milk, banana, and Bee Free Honee in a blender.
- Add the chia seeds, and blend briefly on low speed.
- Working quickly before the chia seeds settle to the bottom, transfer 2/3 of the mixture to two separate bowls (about 3/4 cup per bowl).
- To one bowl, add the vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- To the other bowl, add the cacao powder. Whisk to combine.
- To the blender, add the strawberries. Blend to puree the strawberries, but don’t blend too much or you will lose the chia texture.
- Transfer the strawberry pudding to another bowl.
- Refrigerate all 3 flavors for 3-4 hours.
- After they have thickened, layer the pudding flavors into 2 glasses and indulge.
This recipe is sort of Valentines-ish with the pink and red and chocolate, but stay tuned later in the week for some all out Valentine’s Day recipes!
Rebecca Pytell says
It’s so pretty! Neopolitan was always my favorite ice cream growing up as a child! A little bit of everything 😉
Natalie Thomas says
Really? I never ate it as a kid, haha! I was a exclusively plain vanilla ice cream eater as a child. It’s a perfect flavor for the indecisive though 🙂
Looks so yummy! We rarely had ice cream in the house as a kid, but when we did it was always Neapolitan so everyone got what they liked. I was always a chocolate girl. Not much has changed there!
Natalie Thomas says
Hopefully this chia parfait will conjure up some wonderful childhood memories then! And I must say the chocolate was my favorite part of this recipe, so I’m with ya’ 😉