Dark chocolate cupcakes baked with swirls of pumpkin spice cheesecake and chocolate chips. Vegan and grain-free fall (or Halloween!) decadence!
SPONSORED BY SUNBUTTER
Dark chocolate cupcake meets cheesecake brownie meets pumpkin spice. Black bottom cupcakes are the ultimate don’t-need-frosting decadent cupcakes, and this fall spin all melds together so so well!
What Is A Pumpkin Black Bottom Cupcake?
This recipe starts with an easy, ultra chocolatey cupcake batter made with both cocoa powder and Chocolate SunButter. Next comes the pumpkin cheesecake topping, whipped together with dairy-free cream cheese, real pumpkin, and pumpkin pie spice. Scoop, swirl, sprinkle on chocolate chips, and wait for your new favorite fall treat to bake to fluffy perfection. Between the rich flavor and ultra fluffy texture, you’d never know these cupcakes are completely vegan and grain-free.
My best tip? Try one warm from the oven and enjoy all that still-melty chocolate chip gooeyness. Then! Refrigerate the rest and come back tomorrow…once they’re cold the cupcake goes from fluffy to brownie-fudgy, the pumpkin layer tastes like swirls of chilled cheesecake, and the snappiness of the chilled chips give every bite a little bit of chocolatey texture contrast. It’s the IDEAL way to eat them in my opinion.
How To Make These Yummy Fall Cupcakes
Those swirls may look complicated, but I promise these cupcakes are really easy to prepare you can easily have them in the oven in 15 minutes.
Vegan Grain-Free Chocolate Cupcake Ingredients
- Sweeteners. We are using a combination of coconut sugar and maple syrup. Together they keep the cupcakes moist and perfectly sweet, plus the maple flavor blends deliciously with the pumpkin spices to come.
- Almond milk. Or whatever nondairy milk you prefer.
- Chocolate SunButter. Why use coconut oil or vegan butter when you can use Chocolate SunButter instead? It adds the same richness we need, plus SO much more flavor. Paired with cocoa powder we get a double punch of chocolate in this recipe.
- Vanilla extract.
- Flours. We are using a combination of cassava flour and just a little bit of coconut flour to even out the texture and create that perfect grain-free crumb without any eggs.
- Cocoa powder. For an extra Halloween-y spin swap in dark cocoa powder and make them extra dark chocolatey!
- Baking powder, soda, and salt.
Dairy-Free Pumpkin Cheesecake Swirl Ingredients
- Cream cheese. Dairy-free to keep this recipe vegan, and make sure its softened completely to room temperature otherwise it won’t whip up smooth.
- Pumpkin puree. I prefer organic canned pumpkin for best flavor and color.
- Pumpkin pie spice. I used quite a bit because I like those warm fall spices to come through strong, but you can scale back a little if you prefer.
- Vanilla extract.
- Coconut sugar. To sweeten the swirls just a little, you could swap in brown sugar or maple syrup instead.
- Arrowroot starch. Black bottom cupcakes typically call for eggs in the cheesecake swirl, but we are swapping in a starch instead. Tapioca or corn starch would work too.
After you layer and swirl these two delicious layers together, simply sprinkle on some mini or dark chocolate chips and bake!
More Pumpkin Plus Chocolate Recipes You’ll Love
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Truffles
- Chocolate Pumpkin Sandwich Cookies
- Chocolate Swirl Pumpkin Bread
- Chocolate-Filled Pumpkin Cupcakes
Dark chocolate cupcakes baked with swirls of pumpkin spice cheesecake and chocolate chips. Vegan grain-free fall (or Halloween!) decadence!
Vegan Grain-Free Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup (160g) maple syrup
- 1/2 cup (70g) coconut sugar
- 1 1/4 cup (300g) almond milk
- 1/2 cup (125g) Chocolate SunButter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (128g) cassava flour
- 1/2 cup (50g) cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp (15g) coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
Pumpkin cream cheese
- 4oz vegan cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (60g) canned pumpkin
- 2 tsps pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tbsp arrowroot starch
1/2 cup (80g) chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 12 cupcake pan with paper liners (or spray with nonstick spray).
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk maple syrup, coconut sugar almond milk, Chocolate SunButter, and vanilla extract until combined.
- Add the remaining cupcake ingredients and whisk until combined with minimal lumps.
- Divide this batter between the 12 cupcakes, filling each about halfway. Use the back of a spoon to make a subtle depression in the middle of each.
- In a separate bowl, use an electric mixer to beat together the cream cheese, coconut sugar, vanilla, pumpkin, and arrowroot.
- Drop a spoonful of the pumpkin mixture into each cupcake, and use the back of a spoon or a chopstick to slightly swirl with the chocolate batter.
- Top each with a handful of chocolate chips, pressing in gently.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes at 350°F.
- Cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes, then gently transfer to a wire cooling rack.
- Enjoy warm, or chill (I personally like them better cold!)
Keywords: gluten free, cassava, chocolate, grain free, paleo, fall, pumpkin spice, halloween, easy, healthy, cheesecake