Creamy banana pudding the easy healthy way with bananas, chia seeds, cashews, medjool dates, layered with pecans and coconut whipped cream. Vegan and paleo!
On a scale from 1 to GIMME! how badly do you want to dig into those jars right now?
Okay but hold your spoons for a sec, I need to tell you something…
I owe you an apology.
All this time you’ve been trusting me as your source for fruit-filled sweet stuff, but it has taken literal years to post a solid banana pudding recipe up in this blog. Bananas – the world’s favorite fruit. Pudding – the almost best (ice cream, though) creamy dessert form. Banana pudding – so basic salad bars have been doing it for centuries. I gotta wonder…what’s up with that?
This absurdity ends now. Here now today with these multi-layer creamydelush jars and a big shoutout to one awesome reader who emailed me and inspired this one. Because sometimes I need a reminder to quit dreaming up triple chocolate quinoa waffle cookie dough sandwiches and just get back to SIMPLE. We all do.
I don’t want to point fingers, but I think salad bars may actually be to blame here. There’s something about finding a lost shred of cheddar cheese in your pudding that kinda ruins the whole dessert. But hopefully you don’t have that same unfortunate association. Hopefully you have nothing but happy memories of silky pudding layered with used-to-be-crunchy cookies and banana coins and airy whipped cream.
As childhood cheese trauma therapy or just a healthier recreation of one of your fave desserts, I promise this recipe will leave you with nothing but happy banana feels.
I’m not about to tell you to make homemade nilla wafers AND cook then chill a stovetop pudding AND whip coconut cream by hand AND slice your own bananas. Nobody’s got the time or patience for that. I am here to bring you a much much easier version that still has all the necessary elements – creamy, crunchy, fluffy, banana. Because we love short cuts around here.
So here’s what’s happening:
- Banana pudding. Without refined sugar or cooking or any tofu funny business. Just good stuff like banana, coconut milk, chia seeds, cashews, and vanilla. But blended so it’s suuuuuuuuper creamy.
- Pecans. For the CRUNCH element, plus they just taste so dang good with nanas. Roasted is best! If your heart is set on cookies, maybe try these. Or these.
- Coconut whipped cream. Or cocowhip (like cool whip but vegan!) if you really want to make things extra easy on yourself.
- Bananas. Okay you do actually have to slice these yourself.
The trick to getting the pudding just as dreamy as possible is to combine all the nuts/seeds/fruits/stuff in the blender, blend briefly so it’s all mixed, and then let it sit and soak for about 10-15 minutes. This will soften the chia seeds and cashews so then you can crank that blender up to high and achieve max lusciousness.
Oh, and cashew-free lower fat option included for you too!
And just when these cookies thought they had dibs on all the ripe bananas in my house. Not so fast cookies, not so fast.
Happy easier + healthier Creamy Vegan Banana Pudding parfait-ing to you!
Creamy banana pudding the easy healthy way with bananas, chia seeds, cashews, medjool dates, layered with crunchy pecans and coconut whipped cream. Vegan and paleo!
- In a high speed blender, combine the pudding ingredients and blend briefly.
- Let the mixture sit and soak for 10-15 minutes to soften the chia seeds and cashews.
- Blend again on high until creamy and smooth.
- Pour into a jar and refrigerate overnight. It will thicken as it chills.
- Layer the pudding into jars with the pecans, sliced bananas, and coconut whipped cream.
*You can substitute the cashews with 1/2 cup (120g) non-dairy yogurt, but you will need to reduce the milk to 1 1/2 cups. It won’t be quite as rich.
- Calories: 292
- Sugar: 23
- Fat: 13
- Carbohydrates: 40
- Fiber: 7
- Protein: 6
Keywords: chia, pudding, no bake, easy, breakfast, snack, dessert, vegan, dairy-free
CLICK BELOW TO PIN