Moist, fluffy, made for one! This vegan chocolate mug cake is the best quick dessert, SO good with ice cream on top. Oven and microwave method!
SPONSORED BY SUNBUTTER
This is the impatient chocolate lover’s cupful of dessert dreams come true. No bowls required. Bakes in less than 2 minutes. Moist and gooey and fluffy all at once. With THREE forms of chocolate in the batter. Plus plenty of real estate on top for toppings – whipped cream, ice cream, sprinkles, more chocolate, berries…
Ideal indulging situation: cool for approximately 4 minutes, add a scoop of ice cream, wait 1 more minute to reach peak ice cream melty-ness, add sprinkles of chocolate chips, grab a spoon, GET IN THERE BABY.
How to Make The Perfect Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake
As the title suggests, this recipe is all about quick and easy. The ingredients are simple, with swaps included so hopefully you already have everything in your pantry, and one exciting new ingredient I can’t wait to tell you about.
Chocolate Mug Cake Ingredients
- Flour. I used a gluten-free all purpose flour, but you could also use spelt or all purpose flour here. If you are looking for an oat flour option, try this recipe instead.
- Cocoa powder. This is chocolatey ingredient number 1.
- Coconut sugar. Or brown sugar would work, either will make for a more moist cake than white sugar and richer flavor too.
- Baking powder and salt. The essentials.
- Chocolate SunButter! I am BEYOND excited for this new product from SunButter, it’s the chocolatey spread our lives have truly been missing. I wish you the best of luck not eating the whole jar with a spoon…
- Almond milk. Because we need some liquid in here. You could swap half for brewed coffee if you want a really rich KICK from your mug cake.
- Vanilla extract.
- Dark chocolate chips. These just make it extra moist and a little gooey, you can skip them or just add them on top after baking.
Two Ways To Bake
I tested both a microwave (better speed) and oven (better texture) for you. Both work just fine, but I want to break down the differences so you can choose your own mug cake adventure wisely…
The microwave option: Cake in 2 minutes is my kinda magic trick. It took about 1:45 on high in my microwave to be exact. Just make sure you pick a mug or ramekin that is large enough otherwise the batter can overflow and that’s always a messy sad mug cake moment. I recommend starting with 1:30 and then checking on it. It’s tricky to tell when its done in the microwave, cook it too long and it will turn out dry and chewy.
The oven option: It will take about 23-25 minutes in the oven which I know is a lot more waiting than the microwave route. But you don’t have to worry about overflowing (as long as your mug isn’t too small) and it’s much less likely to over-bake and dry it out. This is my favorite way to do it.
My Best Mug Cake Tips
- Use a large enough mug or ramekin (microwave/oven safe of course!) and do not grease it. It will stick a little bit, but if you grease it it won’t rise as well.
- Whisk the dry ingredients first to avoid any lumps.
- Measure all the ingredients with a kitchen scale. This is most accurate, and when we are working with small amounts like this small errors can make a big difference in texture and taste.
- Let it cool for at least 5-10 minutes before eating, otherwise it will be too gooey. The microwave version will cool quicker than the oven.
More Single Serve Recipes You’ll Love
- Blueberry Mug Muffin
- Vegan Monkey Bread Mug Cake
- Caramel Apple Cinnamon Roll Mug Cake
- Chocolate Chip Mug Cookie
Easy Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 1 cake 1x
- Category: cake
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Moist, fluffy, made for one! This vegan chocolate mug cake is the best quick dessert, ideal with ice cream on top. Oven and microwave method!
- 1/4 cup (37g) gluten free flour
- 2 tbsp (10g) cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp (20g) coconut sugar
- 4 tbsp (60g) almond milk
- 2 tbsp (32g) Chocolate SunButter
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp (15g) dark chocolate chips
- In a large mug or ramekin, whisk together flour cocoa powder, coconut sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add almond milk, Chocolate SunButter, and vanilla.
- Mix to combine.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Microwave for 1:30 to 2 minutes OR bake in the oven for 23-25 minutes at 350ºF until the top bounces back when lightly pressed (*see notes)
- Cool for 5-10 minutes, top with ice cream, whipped cream, or a dusting of powdered sugar. And eat!
Personally I prefer the oven method! It turns out more moist and fluffy this way, so if you have time bake it. If you do microwave, watch it carefully to make sure it doesn’t overflow the mug. If it turns out too chewy from the microwave method, its overcooked.
- Serving Size: 1 mugcake
- Calories: 439
- Sugar: 18g
- Sodium: 370mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 62g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 11g
Keywords: gluten free, oil-free, healthy, dessert, easy, quick, fudgy, brownie, fluffy, dairy free, chocolate chip, nut free
Natalie: This recipe is a winner, as usual! I whipped up two mugs tonight on the fly, making only one substitution — that’s a compliment, in case you were wondering 🙂 — almond butter instead of sunbutter because that’s what I had on hand.
When I asked Handsome Husband if it was “make again worthy” he promptly said yes and then immediately asked if I made note of how I made it, because he knows me well and knows that I view recipes as suggestions, ideas and inspiration, but rarely worth following,…except yours.
Many thanks for sharing your very delish dessert recipes. They never disappoint 🙂
Ah Lori!! I am so so happy you guys loved this one and truly honored to get the hubby approval too🤗🤗 your comment made me laugh, always appreciate your kind words and reviews❤️
This mug cake was too dry, but maybe that’s because it was microwaved. I now see you mentioned the oven method was what you preferred. I microwaved it 1m 15sec, but it was still wet on top, so I microwaved it another 15 seconds. It looked perfect at that point. It was very fluffy, but just too dry tasting for my liking. I would never heat up my full size oven and wait that long for a mug cake. I might as well bake a whole size dessert if I’m going to do that.
Sorry it didn’t work out for you! The microwave option is a little trickier to get timed just right 🙂
This was fabulous. Min. And 30 sec in the microwave. It was choc perfection.
YAY!! So so happy you loved this one Paula🤗
OMG! This Mug cake was so good!!!!!! It’s the perfect quick healthy dessert. It 100% satisfied my craving.
YAY!! I am so happy you loved it Alissa🤗