This is another one of those recipes that contains ridiculous amounts of veggies disguised as a not-so-healthy meal. You’re looking at a rather unusual take on taco filling that is actually made from veggies, then topped with more veggies, and cradled in a crunchy corn shell. The good news is all you will taste is taco, not broccoli.
bite…crack…delicious mess! The hard-shell taco experience wouldn’t be complete if it wasn’t a bit messy. But tasty messes aren’t something to avoid, they’re something to celebrate. And if you need a cleanup crew, those crunchy corn chip shards or a fork will do the job.
Seasoning from a packet? Yes, yes I did just use taco seasoning from a packet. Is it because I’m lazy? Maybe. But I like to call it economical. My spice cabinet isn’t stocked with oodles of spices, so buying one little packet for a few dollars is a lot smarter than 5 different bottles for a few dollars each. Plus I’m saving some prime pantry real estate.
If you do have an extensive spice collection in your kitchen, then feel free to mix together your own taco blend. There are many recipes out there, like this one.
I even made a short but sweet (or should I say spicy) taco-making video!Print
- 2 cups of cauliflower florets (about 2/3 of a head)
- 2 cups of broccoli florets
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup water
- Corn tortillas
- FOR THE TACO FILLING: Add the broccoli and cauliflower to a food processor. Process/pulse to break up all the veggies, don’t overprocess.
- Add the ground veggies to a large pan on the stove.
- Mix in the taco seasoning.
- Once the pan has heated up, add 3/4 cup water.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cover.
- Simmer for 12-15 minutes until the veggies are soft and the water is gone. Stir occasionally to make sure nothing is sticking or burning.
- Once the veggies are soft and the water is gone, remove from the heat.
- FOR THE CRUNCHY SHELLS: Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Two at a time, wrap your tortillas in a damp paper towel, and microwave on high for 20-25 seconds to soften them.
- While they are soft, drape each tortilla over 2 bars of the oven rack.
- Bake of 8-10 minutes until crunchy.
- Build your tacos Top with lettuce, tomato, salsa, or whatever you want.